Rick Hughes
Organizational Training
HR director Utah Department of Human Resources Management
We had an awesome speaker come to class today. I learned so much! What he does for a living would be something that not only I could see myself doing, but also something I would LOVE to do. He is the director of the Utah Department of Human Resources Management. He talked to us about training and I thought it was great because it was as if he was giving us an example of how to train. He was a very good example. He kept me engaged the whole time and made it interesting and fun, just like a trainer should do while training. I took some notes that I plan to come back on and review. I will share them on here.
The world’s largest trainer is the ARMY. Everything he learned about training is from the Army. Throughout his training he would often refer back to the Army and gave good examples of how they help train their new recruits.
He talked about what training is. His favorite definition is; Training consists of planned programs designed to improve performance at the individual levels. Specifically it is important to plan for training. Training will produce change in attitudes, knowledge, and skill. This will help you train them what to BE what to KNOW and what to DO. He told us of different training programs, such as, New Hire Orientation, Supervisory Development, and Liability Management. These trainings are very important and will help employees be the best they can. Everything is going online recently however some training situations are better to do in person. For example, if you are training on team work it would be much more beneficial if you meet as a group.
Training Process: ADDIE
• Analysis
-Formal/informal needs assessment
-Determine goals and objectives
• Design
-Determine the content
-Determine delivery method
• Development
-create the materials
• Implement
-Deliver the content
• Evaluation
-results vased and ovjectives
Smart Learning Objectives
• Specific
• Measurable
• Action
• Realistic
• Time Frame
While planning a training you should keep asking yourself, “At the end of this course the participant will be able to:” also let those that are being trained know this so they feel direction in the training meeting. Like Covey says… “Begin with the end in mind”
The four P’s of Training
• Preview
• Present
• Practice
• Perform
Like I said, this is something I would really like to do. In a way I am doing it right now. I teach at the Missionary Training Center and every day I get to train the missionaries and give them new information. They way that I present it is very important and I got some really good ideas of things that I would like to implement into my teaching. One thing specifically I would like to work on that will help my missionaries is doing a lot more practice. He told us that through practicing we will retain information.
No comments:
Post a Comment