Friday, September 10, 2010

HR in hospitals


We had an Awesome speaker come in to class today. Unfortunately I forgot his name. Here are some things I learned from his speech
His passion for HR grew while in College. With different jobs, including 2 ½ years at UVU, he is now with health care at Timpanogas Regional Hospital as a human resource representative. He talked about salaries for Human Resource Management, and very humbly told us that he has a six figure income.
He gave us an example of accommodating pregnant woman. If she wants a lighter load there is no one that can give, and even offer, her a lighter load. She has to have a note from her doctor saying that she needs a lighter load. However HR can call the doctor and ask if the doctor even knows what her load is exactly. If he doesn’t they don’t have to give that to her. Pg 63 of our text gives more examples of discriminating against pregnant workers. I enjoyed reading through these different cases. I learned a lot about watching your words and actions in discrimination. Don’t discriminate against anything except their ability to work
Another example he gave was about safety in the workplace. Some of his employees at the hospital were racing food carts down the hall and one of them cut their head open. He needed stitches and the hospital had to pay for it.
I really enjoyed his speech and wished I could have asked him some questions. He did a really good job and being entertaining and keeping the class involved.
While reading chapter 3 I learned a lot about providing equal employment opportunities! One thing that I can’t help but think is that a lot of these legal rules put a disability and takes away rights from an owner trying to run a business. If an owner has a dream team and the EEOC puts regulations on him or her they may not be able to fulfill what they have in mind. A question I have is what about a modeling agency who only wants black people to be in a photo shoot? Is that wrong? I feel like they could argue that they are making art! It seems like there are a lot of rules that one could argue with.

No comments:

Post a Comment