Thursday, September 9, 2010

First Blog post

(I originally posted this on my personal blog ryankingogden@blogspot.com but then realized we needed to create a personal one for the class)
Alright… my first blog post for my Human Resources Management class. I’m not much of a blogger but I can see why this will help me with the class. On this blog I will post what I’ve been learning and use it as a learning journal. By the end of the semester I will be able to review my progress in the class.
Before this class started I had a very limited understanding of what HUMAN RESOURCE is. When I heard HUMAN RESOURCE I thought of the problem solvers, and that’s about it. In this first week of this class I’ve learned that HUMAN RESOURCE deals with the human aspects or the needs of the employs. I learned that some companies have a whole HUMAN RESOURCE department where as other companies may just have one individual to handle their HUMAN RESOURCE needs.
I thought it would be fun to ask around and see what others thought the definition of Human Resources is.
My dad said, “Human Resources are the people who pay your salary. They are the one who will tell you if you can go on a vacation. They don‘t make company decisions, however they are important. If you had a grievance with a superior, your boss, you should be able to go to human recourses and let them be the buffer. For example if your boss asks you to do something that is immoral or illegal HR will help.” He told me of an example of something that happened where HR had to help. A marketing associate was asked by her district sells manager asked her to do something beyond her job description. She went to the HR department where she talked about her feelings of her district sells manager and they were able to work things out through the regional sells manager. It was a safe roundabout way to solve problems.
My mom said that she didn’t know anything about HR. I asked her if she ever had problems with checks who would she call? She told me there was a lady in the school district office that would help he with things like that. I let her know that that is one thing that HR helps with.
The last thing that I would like to write about is a project we did in class. The teacher wrote on the board a whole bunch of people and their characteristics. He told us that everyone in the world has died except for the people on the board. He went on to explain that if we let everyone on the board survive then we would only be able to last 2 years but if we killed some off then we would be able to live a lot longer. He asked us to talk with in a group on how we would handle the situation. I think this example goes very well with HR. A company must decide what employees they will keep around and what employees they have to get rid of depending on the amount of recourses available. I thought this was a great example that helped me understand a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment